What to Expect
From disruptive technologies to geopolitical turmoil, global companies have a vast array of issues to consider when expanding globally or managing their existing global footprint. This continuous era of change has lead to the corporate legal department assuming a role not only as a legal advisor, but as a protector of one of the company's most fragile assets – its reputation. As senior management continues to view the legal department as the organization's "moral compass," chief legal officer, general counsels and their teams are now faced with protecting the corporate reputation while managing constant innovation and heightened risk.
At Doing Business Globally, you will hear from experienced business leaders, in-house counsel and Baker McKenzie attorneys, discussing the most prominent legal and operational challenges for global businesses, including:
• Regulation and risk management in a complex world
• Impact of innovation and new technologies on business models
• Workforce challenges and the diversity and inclusion imperative
• Evolving strategies for global expansion and investment
|8:30 am||Registration and Breakfast||Oaklawn|
|9:00 am||Morning Keynote Presentation and Plenary Session||Joe C. Thompson Amphitheater|
|11:30 am||Luncheon||42nd Floor|
Breakout Panel Sessions (choose one panel per session)
|5:00 pm||Networking Reception||42nd Floor|
Terry Jones, Founder and former CEO of Travelocity & former Chairman of KAYAK
Terry Jones has become a powerful voice in the world of entrepreneurship through his numerous speaking engagements and the publication of his book, ON Innovation. Jones served as CEO of Travelocity for seven years transforming it to a public company with three billion dollars in travel sales. He left Travelocity when the company was taken private and became part of the founding team at Kayak.com, a company that yet again revolutionized how travel was purchased. Today he is the managing principal of ON Inc., a consultancy he founded to help companies in their transition to the digital economy. He currently serves on the boards of Boingo, Sonicwall and Camping and Education Foundation.
GUARDING THE CORPORATE REPUTATION AND CREATING CERTAINTY IN A NEW WORLD ORDER
The morning plenary coincides with this year's theme, the evolving role of senior in-house legal teams as the "Guardian of the Corporate Reputation." The panel, comprised of general counsels and board directors, will aim to explain how legal departments are guiding their boards on key issues impacting the enterprise, including innovation, geopolitical developments and risk management.
Baker McKenzie - Chicago
Former Executive Vice President, Corporate Secretary and General Counsel of McDonald’s Corporation.
Speakers to be announced soon
Session I 12:30 pm to 1:30 pm (Choose One Panel)
- The Evolving Regulatory Landscape for Autonomous Technology
- Reducing the Risk of Inheriting an Enforcement Action: Compliance due diligence in M&A and JV transactions
- Tax Reform for the Non-Tax Lawyer
Session II 1:40 pm to 2:40 pm (Choose One Panel)
- Protecting the Attorney-Client Privilege in International Transactions, Investigations and Litigation
- Enterprise Risk Management and Your Global Supply Chain
- Financing your Next Deal: Addressing geopolitical implications in Latin America and other emerging economies
Session III 2:50 pm to 3:50 pm (Choose One Panel)
- Anticipating Board Level Issues in Global Brand Expansion
- Emerging Trends in Advancing Corporate Diversity and Inclusion Goals
- Guiding the Moral Compass and Company Culture: Where do we go from here?
Session IV 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm (Choose One Panel)
- Conflicts Between US Legal Demands for Data and Global Data Protection Laws
- Spotlight on Doing Business in Mexico: What does the change in administration mean for risk management and business strategy?
- Distribution Channel Conflict in the Consumer Goods and Retail Industry: Managing the rise of e-commerce